Ahana Deol, daughter of Hema Malini and Dharmendra is marrying Delhi businessman Vaibhav and after the at-home Mehendi the first gala celebration was the Sangeet at ITC Maratha Sheraton.
Hema Malini (in a blue saree from Shyamal & Bhumika’s ‘Royal Procession’ Collection) poses with the Voras
– Unlike sister Esha Deol’s Sangeet which was a star-filled affair, Ahana’s sangeet was a smaller yet fun-filled celebration with performances by family and friends. Sonam Kapoor was one of the few guests from Bollywood. The shy and reticent Ahana is known to be a very private person with a small circle of close friends mostly from her school (Jamnabhai Narsee) and neighbourhood in JVPD Scheme, Juhu.
Sonam Kapur was the star guest at the Sangeet
– The highlight of the evening was when the bride’s father Dharmendra entered the banquet hall. After the formal photo sessions of the Samdhis- the Deols, the Voras and Takhtanis (Esha’s parents in-law) many guests clamored around Dharmendra to click photos with him.
From left to right, The Takhtanis, Deols and Voras
– The function started at around 10.30 pm with Vaibhav’s friends opening to the number ‘Aaya dilli wali girlfriend chhod chhad ke’ (from the movie Yeh Jawaani Hai Diwani). Vaibhav’s friends joked about how they were ‘nervous’ to be competing with ‘Bollywood’ Mumbai but were confident that they would rock the Sangeet
– After the performances by Vaibhav’s side, Ahaana’s family and cousins (including Madhu Shah of ‘Roja’ fame) danced to Bollywood hits. Madhu was undoubtedly the star performer on stage, and literally shone as she happily danced with her ten year old daughter. Ahana’s friends spoke about how they are happy for her, but a little sad that she will be relocating to Delhi, but they are now looking forward to visit her new home in Vasant Vihar and enjoying the Vora family’s hospitality.
Esha and Bharat Takhtani with friend Anushka Manchanda
– Since the Groom’s family has booked over 200 rooms at the hotel, there were two entrances– one for the hotel residents who walked in directly from the elevator to the banquet halls, and the red carpet entry for other guests.
– The decor was modern with lots of blue lights. It was reunion time for many of Vaibhav’s classmates from St Columbus, Delhi and Babson Collage, US, and all of them were seen having an amazing time dancing and bonding with friends.
– The food was an interesting mix of North Indian, South Indian, Pan Asian and Continental, and there were lots of options for both Vegetarians and Non vegetarians. They included specialities from ITC restaurants like Dakshin, DumPukht and the live stations dished out pastas and appams & stew. The dessert station had a mix of Indian and continental desserts including the Kerala speciality ‘Ada Pradanam’.
– The ITC Maratha Sheraton and Wedding Planners Var Vadhu team alongwith the Security men (from Celebrity Security guard Shera’s company) worked super-efficiently and were at all spots to ensure guests were comfortable. In between though, they couldn’t resist coming near the banquets to take a ‘dekko’ at the celebrities at the fun-filled sangeet.
– Hema Malini’s brothers, son-in-law Bharat and his parents mingled around to chat with the guests. Esha didn’t move too much as she was nursing a hand fracture. Dharmendra stayed on till post midnight, the Deol brothers (Sunny and Bobby) didn’t attend though.
Esha wears a flowy cream net lehenga with gold embroidery by Shyamal & Bhumika.
Wedding Decor & Planning- Var Vadhu
Photos Courtesy- The Wedding Story