By Jaspreet Soni
Payal Shah and Nihar Parikh met through common friends around ten years ago. “We are different personalities, but what brought us together are our common interests and our love for fashion and music”, the duo state. While Nihar is in the diamond business, Payal has transitioned from being a student of architecture to a well-known jewellery designer, known for her statement pieces.
Wedding celebrations in Mumbai
The Hong Kong based bride and Antwerp based groom always wanted a destination wedding and they decided to get married in Mumbai. As many of their family and friends are based in Mumbai, it was their first choice. It turned out to be the best choice too, she says.“Mumbai offers a great mix of Indian culture and modern lifestyle, and that is exactly what suited our sensibilities.”
The families have appointed the company ‘Cineyug’ as the Event Managers but Payal says she is happy to be hands-on involved in every aspect of wedding planning. She has worked hard towards ensuring that every event turns out to be the best for their Indian and international guests. From a ‘Moroccan Night’ at The Oberoi, Mehndi at Palladium Hotel where ‘Colors of Sun Rise’ is the theme, Sangeet at NSCI stadium highlighting the ‘flavors of India’ to creating an experience of ‘Europe meets Asia’ at the wedding, she has managed to create an effective amalgamation of tradition and modernity.
Payal is wearing couture designer friend Natthida’s creation for the youngster’s night, a Tarun Tahiliani lehenga for the Mehndi hosted by the boy’s side, an Anamika Khanna dhoti saree for her Mehndi, and Manish Malhotra ensembles for her Sangeet, Wedding and Reception. The jewellery for every occasion is a mix of her own creations and custom designed pieces with the quality of timelessness to them.
Jewellery Designer Payal Shah recommends for brides-to-be, five jewellery pieces to invest in that will take them beyond the wedding celebrations
“I believe in jewellery that resonates with today’s lifestyle. So here are my picks:
1. A long chain necklace always looks simple, elegant yet beautiful. It can be diamonds, pearls or any gemstones.
2. A nice pair of diamond studs, of one to three carat each. Even better if they are GIA certified as it guarantees purity. And you can wear them with almost anything.
3. A tennis diamond bracelet is also a very good investment. You can wear it on any occasion
4. Emerald jewellery is a must-have. It can be big statement earrings in emerald or a neckpiece. It is one stone that never goes out of fashion and goes with every color. It has a very royal quality to it, a stunner right from the time of Maharajas. I am wearing a beautiful emerald necklace at my Sangeet and I am very excited about it.
5. A classic polki set is also a great choice- they are timeless heirlooms which tell a story.“
Photos courtesy- MORVI Images (Payal and Nihar), Zoya (Emerald Jewellery), Tanishq (Polki set)