13 Real Weddings that made a mark with their pop-culture-inspired themes
Squid Games, Harry Potter to Bollywood - these real weddings are filled with inspiration for couples who want to stand out!
Customisation is at the heart of Indian weddings today. Be it monograms, custom-made outfits, intricately choreographed entries or the menu. And in recent times, with the thriving array of cult-favourite movies and online series making a mark on everyone’s minds – these two worlds have collided and blazed a trail ahead for real weddings that have flaunted extravagant themes inspired by the couple’s love for a cherished movie or sitcom.
So, if you’re a to-be-wed Potterhead who wants to slip into the magic of love and wizardry or a thrill-seeker who loves Money Heist or a Bollywood buff who adores vintage glamour – we’ve got plenty of inspiration coming up for you! Here is our curation of real weddings that made a lasting impression with their unique pop-culture-inspired themes.
1. A custom-made iron throne, dragon eggs and house banners of the Lannisters, Starks, Targaryens and Baratheon – Sanjana and Shaurya’s Game of Thrones sangeet transported the guests to Westeros!
2. Transporting their guests to the whimsical land of fairytales, Nikhita and Mukund hosted an ‘Alice in Wonderland’ themed mehndi. The theme was incorporated into every aspect of the function, starting with the four flavours of teas signifying the Mad Hatter’s Tea Party that were included in the gift hampers sent to guests’ rooms. A giant floral teacup and saucer installation, a photo booth made from an antique telephone booth filled with flowers, and a floral bar with lounges in the form of floral cages made for an arresting sight.
3. ‘The Office Wedding Dance’ made its way to Shreya and Shubham’s sangeet where the couple along with their friends made a stunning entrance to their sangeet.
View this post on Instagram
4. Hedwig, ink pots, Platform 9 ¾, Hogwarts, Diagon Alley and the Ministry of Magic – this wedding of fellow Potterheads had magical elements of love and the wizarding world of Harry Potter.
5. Lehar and Vishesh made their own world of fairytales with an Alice in Wonderland-themed party. Iconic vintage clocks and cheery rabbits gave the open-air event a whimsical, vivid vibe.
6. Raghavi and Prithvi showcased their love for the Potter series with a giant floor-to-ceiling chamber of secrets book entrance, wall-to-wall bookcase photo booth, and speciality Harry Potter-themed cocktails. With the bartenders wearing sorting hats, a giant multi-panelled LED screen to act as a backdrop to Hogwarts and transform into speciality LED lighting effects during the afterparty, and lots and lots of candles as part of the table settings – this reception was certainly not a muggle celebration!
7. Merging the conventional haldi celebration with the thrill of ‘Squid Games’, Drasti and Karan gave their wedding a refreshing spin. While the couple was slathered in haldi, the guests tried their luck at games of dice and marbles that were inspired by the show. Plus, their favours were also presented to them in a potli with the show’s logo.
8. For all the Bollywood buffs out there, take notes from Nikhita and Mukund’s sangeet! Showcasing their love for vintage Bollywood award shows this couple’s elaborate sangeet consisted of gold tickets stamped with the couple’s monogram, paparazzi, lookalikes of actors, Bollywood singers, popcorn, movie posters of iconic flicks along with images of retro actors.
9. High fashion fused with desi vibrance made a splash at Damini and Prabhdeep’s ‘Devil Wears Prada’ inspired cocktail night. Equipped with a ramp, shades of grey with pops of pink and an art gallery-style display of gastronomic delights, this is one event that would meet Miranda Preistly’s exacting standards!
10. How many times have we wished that Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory existed in real life? Well, Damini made this dream of hers come true with a ‘Willy Wonka Ooompa-Loompa’ themed mehndi! A candy lover’s paradise, this event was adorned with larger-than-life candy canes, macaroons, characters from the movie and of course, tables laden with edible candy of every sort.
11. The fictional worlds of Harry Potter and Game of Thrones collided at this couple’s Sangeet event where Quidditch hoops, House Banners, sparkly quills and potion bottles gave the decor an ethereal vibe.
View this post on Instagram
12. Avid admirers of the hit show ‘Money Heist’, Raghavi and Prithvi surprised their guests with a mock hold-up at their mehndi where the bartenders wielded champagne guns and donned red jumpsuits and Dali masks!
13. Inspired by the Burning Man Festival, Rhea and Divish’s brunch artistic decor elements, masks and macrame hangings swayed in the wind. Hosted on a sprawling lawn, this event had everyone grooving while indulging themselves in delicacies.
Looking for more inspiration as you plan your wedding? Click here.